Monday, December 24, 2012

Keep A Candle Lit!

So last time I explained the opportunity that has come our way. And now I would like to share another opportunity that has grown from our actively seeking the venture to keep bees...

And that opportunity is Beeswax Candles!


In an effort to keep my hype and excitement up through the winter months about the coming of the bees for my hives, I started making beeswax candles.

I started simply with a 6 pack of metal votive candle molds, and a 1 pond block of beeswax from the local craft store, and very quickly became addicted to making my own candles. 

I went through my first pound of wax in less than three days, and probably burnt every candle I made in my excitement!

Then I started thinking to myself...
I bet I could sell these!

So I tested my best market, which at this time was FanBox.com

I created listings 5 100% Beeswax votive candles available for sale at $5 each, built a few ads at ten cents cost per click, and shared my product with my fellow bloggers.

That was all it took, people almost instantly started raving about the candles I was providing, and I did $60 in sales in my first week. I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but that was the same week I started making candles!
I have already shipped my homemade candles to 6 different states, and have 3 more orders to go out to 3 more states as soon as I can ship after the holidays again!

And if that wasn't kicker enough to motivate me to create and sell more candles, the owner of a local artisan shop approached me and offered me shelf space in his store to display and sell my candles. And they are willing to let me demonstrate my weaving this spring to help draw in more business for all involved.

So almost overnight I have become a candle-making sensation. 

I have more wax and candle molds on order, and am eagerly awaiting that to arrive, as I have run out of wax and it has become a bit of a habit to make a fresh batch of candles every night once the kids and wife go to bed.

Until the next time, keep a candle burning!


No comments:

Post a Comment